Monday, October 15, 2012

Dinner with Friends

Okay… so we’re at dinner with some new friends.  The men are out back grilling steaks and we women are in the kitchen assembling salads and talking about the men who are outside. 

She tells me that her husband’s drinking has gotten out of control. 

I wasn’t aware he had a drinking issue. 

He was caught sleeping/passed out on the job, and now his job is in jeopardy, she tells me. 

The week before, while she was out of town, she found out he stayed blind drunk the entire time she was gone.  He has reluctantly joined AA, but laments to her that he wishes he could just drink like a “normal” person.   They had a loud argument over all of this and in the midst of it, the police arrived.  They were summoned there by a neighbor who was concerned by all the yelling. 

Then the men rejoined us - - and the conversation ended as abruptly as it began.

I’ve been ruminating on all she shared with me ever since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment